The Lucks Lab is hiring a research technologist. If you, or someone you know, is interested in working with a great team of scientists unraveling the RNA sequence:structure:function relationship, this job may be for you!
See the job listing here.
The Research Technologist will perform duties in the Lucks Laboratory for RNA Engineering at Northwestern University. Join a team involved in characterizing the sequence/structure/function relationship of RNA molecules for basic science and applications in medicine and biotechnology. The research technologist will provide logistical support for the smooth running of the lab (carry out ordering and lab maintenance, maintain supply and reagent inventory, lab strain collection, manage equipment maintenance, help dishwashing and other laboratory duties). The research technologist will also assist in the execution of research projects by performing standard molecular biology and biochemistry assays, recording observations and measurements, and collecting/compiling data. This position requires a practical understanding of a limited number of standard techniques in molecular biology and biochemistry. This is a 1 year termed position with the option for renewal based on available funding.
- Follows pre-defined protocols, policies, procedure, regulations, Good Laboratory Practices and conducts standard, repetitive experiments and completes basic trouble-shooting techniques.Sets-up, operates and maintains standard lab equipment.
- Maintains accurate and detailed electronic records of results.
- Records test results and may maintain databases. May complete standard and routine clerical duties such as copying, filing, data entry, word processing, etc.
- Performs basic financial management: tracks and summarizes lab supply expenses, verifies accuracy of invoices, and orders/maintains lab supplies and reagents.
- Performs general laboratory duties including dishwashing, autoclaving, strain collection maintenance, and safety responsibilities.
- An entry level in the stated skills is required:
- Molecular Biology:
- DNA, RNA, Protein isolation, purification and expressionSouthern, Northern, Western blotting
- Plasmid preparation
- Sequencing of DNA
- Cellular Biology:
- Cell culture, cell isolation
- Functional studies
- Molecular Biology:
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- HS diploma and some basic science courses are required.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- BS in a basic science and no experience or 2 years practical lab/bench experience is required
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Next generation sequencing library preparation.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.